Insurance for Boats and Personal Watercraft
Western North Carolina and NW South Carolina is home to several beautiful lakes, including Lake Glenville, Lake Toxaway, and Lake Jocassee. Many residents of Cashiers and the surrounding area own boats and other personal watercraft. Like automobiles, these water recreational vehicles require comprehensive insurance plans to ensure people and property are protected from liability and damage.
Request a Free Quote
Do I need boat insurance?
While boat insurance is not technically required by the states of North Carolina or South Carolina, you may still be required to have watercraft insurance by the company financing your boat, or by the marina where you dock your boat. And boats need their own insurance policies, as most homeowners insurance plans do not cover boats when they are on the water.
All boat owners should carry watercraft insurance to protect their property, safety and liability. Boat insurance policies may include several coverage options, including:
- Liability insurance: Watercraft liability covers damages or injuries you may cause while operating your boat.
- Watercraft collision insurance: Regardless of whose fault it is, boat collision coverage protects you from damage caused by hitting another boat or object, or from capsizing.
- Comprehensive boat insurance: Comprehensive watercraft insurance protects your boat from threats outside your control, such as weather damage, theft or vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured boater (UB/UIB) coverage: This insurance plan covers the cost of your medical bills and property damage if you are hit by a boater who does not have adequate insurance.
- Watercraft medical payment insurance: You can add this additional policy to cover yourself and others should you experience injuries that are beyond the cost of your personal health insurance policy.
- Boat trailer insurance: Some watercraft insurance policies cover your boat from damage it may experience while on your trailer.
The friendly, independent agents at Cashiers Insurance Agent will get to know you and fully understand the type of watercraft insurance policy you need. We’ll then find the right watercraft insurance plan to fit your needs and budget.